Can I Buy SpaceX Stocks?
No, you cannot currently buy SpaceX stock directly as the company is privately owned by Elon Musk, public companies, and private equity firms. Instead, you might consider investing in related public companies or funds that hold SpaceX as part of their portfolio, albeit indirectly, as a way to gain exposure to the company's innovative space technology ventures, such as Bank of America and Alphabet. Alternatively, you can invest in other publicly traded companies in the space technology sector or potential partners/suppliers to SpaceX.
Who owns SpaceX Stocks?
SpaceX has raised a total of $6.8 billion in funding since its founding in 2002. Notable investors include Google, Founders Fund, Bank of America, Fidelity Investments, and NASA. The company's funding history dates back to August 2002, when it raised $61 million, followed by another $61 million in the same year. In 2015, the company raised $1 billion, and in 2020, it raised $2.6 billion. Elon Musk also holds a stake in the company and other ventures such as Stripe, The Boring Company, and Neuralink.
What companies are like SpaceX?
A few companies could be considered a good SpaceX proxy to invest in. These companies are involved in similar industries and could potentially benefit from SpaceX's success in the space exploration market. Here are a few alternative options to consider:
- Lockheed Martin Corporation (LMT): A global security and aerospace company with a strong presence in the space exploration industry that has partnered with SpaceX on various projects.
- Boeing Co. (BA): Aerospace and defense company focusing on NASA's space programs that also collaborated with SpaceX on the commercial crew program.
- Virgin Galactic Holdings, Inc. (SPCE): A spaceflight company that provides suborbital spaceflights for tourism and scientific research.
- Maxar Technologies Inc. (MAXR): A space technology company that provides satellites, Earth imagery, and other space-related products and services. They have directly worked with NASA and SpaceX on various projects.
- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NOC): A global aerospace and defense company providing advanced technology systems, products, and services. Worked with NASA and SpaceX on various projects, including developing the Cygnus spacecraft.
What is SpaceX?
Space Exploration Technologies Corp., or SpaceX, is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transportation company founded by Elon Musk in 2002. It's known for its groundbreaking efforts to make space exploration accessible and cost-effective, aiming for a future where humans can live on other planets. Key milestones include the development of reusable rockets like the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy, which significantly reduce the cost of space travel.
It is recognized for launching the Crew Dragon spacecraft under NASA's Commercial Crew Program, marking a new era of commercial human-crewed spaceflight. In 2020, they launched the first operational manned mission to the International Space Station from U.S. soil since the Space Shuttle Program's retirement. Additionally, SpaceX is developing the Starship spacecraft for missions to Mars and is deploying Starlink. Its groundbreaking work has reshaped the aerospace industry and ignited renewed interest in space exploration.
SpaceX Stock Price
There is no live SpaceX stock price, as the company is privately owned and not publicly traded. However, in January 2023, SpaceX raised $750 million at a valuation of $137 billion. This places the company at the same market capitalization as major corporations like Wells Fargo or Nike, making it one of the most valuable privately-held companies in the world.
The Bottom Line
To wrap up, you cannot buy SpaceX stock directly as it is privately owned by a few entities, including Elon Musk. However, you can invest indirectly by buying shares in companies that have invested in SpaceX or other publicly traded companies in the space technology sector. Notable investors in SpaceX include Google, Bank of America, and Fidelity Investments.
While there is no live SpaceX stock price, the company recently raised $750 million at a valuation of $137 billion, making it one of the most valuable privately-held companies in the world. There are also other companies like Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Virgin Galactic, Maxar Technologies, and Northrop Grumman that could be considered a good SpaceX proxy to invest in.